Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Let's get this show on the road!

First of all let me explain where my love for Mudbox really started. It began with Maya in 2002. It was before I even started studying at HKU. I began simple: with Kaneda's Bike from the Akira motion picture. Yeah simple enough huh? What can I say? I'm really crazy that way. After that I started making different Autobots. As if that is simple. I thought maybe if I force myself to make complex models I'll learn the software faster. I was kinda right. 'Kinda' meaning it took me 2 weeks to make a model and one week to texture it. But at the same time I learned a lot of extra gimmicks I could use for later models. So when I started my 'real' education at HKU I had a small advantage in making 3D models. During my study I was inevitably forced to work with 3DS which I really hated. It was unstable, not user-friendly and ugly as hell. HKU just wasn't that into Maya and it was way above their budget to be honest. Ah well. So in a period of four years I was getting better in 3DS and losing my mojo in Maya. Which felt as if my whole world was crumbling down. Well sort of anyway, maybe a little less dramatic. In the meantime I was looking for various 3D software to replace my four year 3DS overdose. From Softimage to ZBrush, I tried them all! Until right after my graduation I came across a program called Mudbox. It was as if a whole new world opened up to me. I felt like a 10 year old with a pot of clay and somebody was like: 'Here you go son, go play around. But remember not to put it in your mouth'. That's how I found Mudbox. So without further a do, lemme show you what this 10 year old can do!